Heath P. Taylor graduated from Newberry College in 1995, Summa Cum Laude, with a B.A. in History. He received his Juris Doctorate from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1998. He is a partner in the Taylor Law Firm LLC located in West Columbia.
His practice areas include all types of criminal defense, with an emphasis on DUI defense. He also represents individuals in catastrophic injury and workers’ compensation cases.
Mr. Taylor formerly served as an Assistant Prosecutor for the Town of Irmo and as Associate Municipal Judge for the City of West Columbia. He is licensed to practice in all federal and state courts in South Carolina.
He is a member of the South Carolina Bar where he serves as Chair of the Criminal Law Council, Lexington County Bar, American Association for Justice, South Carolina Association for Justice, where he serves as the Criminal Section Chair, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, where he serves as President-Elect and is co-chair of the Legislative Committee, National College for DUI Defense and served as the South Carolina Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman’s designee to the South Carolina Sentencing Reform Oversight Committee.
Heath and his wife, Julie, have two sons, Preston and Cooper. He enjoys hunting, fishing, and backpacking.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- DUI Defense
- Workers Compensation
- Personal Injury
- Administrative Law
- South Carolina, 1998
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2004
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
- J.D. - 1998
- Newberry College, Newberry, South Carolina
- B.A. - 1995
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: History
- S.C. Dep’t of Motor Vehicles v. Brown, 406 S.C. 626, 753 S.E. 2d 524 , 2014
- State v. Elwell, 403 S.C. 606, 743 S.E. 2d 802 , 2013
- State v. Vinson, 400 S.C. 347, 743 S.E. 2d 182 , 2012, S.C. Ct. App.
- S.C. Dept of Motor Vehicles v. McCarson, 391 S.C. 136, 705 S.E. 2d 425 , 2011
- Oblachinski v. Reynolds, 391 S.C. 557, 706 S.E.2d 844 , 2011
- Carroll v. S.C. Dep’t of Motor Vehicles, 388 S.C. 39, 693 S.E. 2d 430 , 2010, S.C. Ct. App.
- Palmetto Princess, LLC v. Town of Edisto Beach, 360 S.C. 50, 631 S.E. 2d 76, 2006, S.C. Sup. Ct.
- Knotts v. S.C. Dept. of Natural Resources, 348 S.C. 1, 558 S.E. 2d 511, 2002, S.C. Sup. Ct.
- State v. Ballington, 346 S.C. 262, 551 S.E. 2d 280, 2001, S.C. Ct. App.
- Great Games, Inc. v. South Carolina Dep. of Revenue, 339 S.C. 79, 529 S.E. 2d 6, 2000, S.C. Sup. Ct.
- Numerous Seminars on DUI Defense, SCACDL & Lorman
- Numerous Magistrate Training Seminars, South Carolina Court Administration
Professional Associations and Memberships
- South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, President-Elect
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- South Carolina Association for Justice, Criminal Section Chair
- American Association for Justice
Past Employment Positions
- Moore, Taylor & Thomas, P.A., Partner, 1998 to 2006
- Kappa Alpha Order